The Community Development Department provides staff support to the Carroll County Community Development Board of Appeals. The Appeals Board has the power to authorize variances from the terms of the zoning ordinance as long as it will not be contrary to the public interest where, owing to special conditions, a literal enforcement of the provisions of this resolution will result in unnecessary hardship. This will result in the spirit of the ordinance being observed, public safety and welfare secured, and substantial justice done.
The Community Development Board of Appeals may grant an AREA VARIANCE upon a finding that all of the following conditions exist:
- There are extraordinary and exceptional conditions pertaining to the particular piece of property in question because of its size, shape, or topography.
- The application of the resolution to the particular piece of property would create an unnecessary hardship.
- Such conditions are peculiar to the particular piece of property involved.
- Relief, if granted, would not cause a substantial detriment to the public good or impair the purposes and intent of this resolution.
The Community Development Board of Appeals may grant a SPECIAL EXCEPTION VARIANCE upon a finding that all of the following conditions exist:
- Whether or not there will be a significant adverse effect on the neighborhood or area in which the proposed single family dwelling will be built.
- Whether or not the proposed single family dwelling is otherwise compatible with the neighborhood.
- Whether or not the public health, safety, or welfare concerns of the surrounding neighborhood will be adversely affected.
- Whether a denial would impose an unnecessary hardship upon the applicant and the immediate family.
- The applicant's justification for not choosing to apply for a conditional use or zoning change.