Carroll County was organized in 1826 from lands acquired by a treaty signed with the Cherokee and Creek Indian Nations. The signing of the Indian Springs Treaty resulted in the murder of Chief William McIntosh, the son of a Scotsman and a full-blood Creek woman, who owned a vast plantation along the Chattahoochee River in southeast Carroll.
Today, the historic site serves the public as McIntosh Reserve, a county-maintained passive recreation area. The county was named for Charles Carroll of Maryland, a signer of the Declaration of Independence. Settlers were drawn to the area by the prospects of good farming due to the rich soil. Others came looking for the once abundant amount of gold in the northern part of the county. Today, Carroll’s rural roots remain healthy as the county continues as an agricultural leader, boasting the largest cattlemen’s association in the state and continuing as a major poultry producer. Balancing this asset with an ever-evolving, diverse industrial base with its eye on the future ensures abundant job opportunities and exceptional quality of life for Carroll’s citizens.