Jurisdiction of the Court

The Magistrate Court hears cases of plaintiffs who file against defendants who also are residents of the same county. If you are filing against someone who lives in another county, you will not be able to file in Carroll County. You will have to seek assistance from the county where the defendant lives.

Refiling or Transferring Cases
If you have already filed in the wrong county, the case can be transferred to the appropriate court. An order is signed by the judge to have the case transferred, however, you will have to pay $50 to have the defendant served in the county it is being transferred to.

For example: If you learn that the defendant lives in Douglas County, you will have to send the Magistrate Court of Carroll County a money order or check made payable to Douglas County Magistrate Court. The Magistrate Court of Carroll County would pay the filing fee for transferring your case.

Contact Us

  1. Nathaniel Smith

    Chief Magistrate

    Magistrate Court

    166 Independence Drive

    Carrollton, GA 30117

    Mailing Address

    P.O. Box 338

    Carrollton, GA 30112

    Phone: 770-830-5874

    Fax: 770-830-5851

    Staff Directory